April 2, 2013 saw the return of the long-awaited Nurses Ball. The history of the ball is simple:
The first Nurses Ball was in 1994. The brainchild of flighty but well-intentioned Lucy Coe, the ball was a gala celebration where Port Charles’s best and brightest came out to raise money for AIDS charities. The event was a collection of musical performances starring doctors, nurses, and other PC luminaries. Lucy would always emcee the event, often joined (however reluctantly) by her archrival Katherine Bell.
In the early years of the Ball, the AIDS charity was a huge component, since these years coincided with Stone Cates revealing he had AIDS, and later, Robin Scorpio’s HIV-positive status. So many memorable moments in the Robin/Stone storyline took place at the Nurses’ Ball, including Mac presenting Robin with Stone’s patch on the AIDS memorial quilt.
For more information go here: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/general-hospital/blog/all/the-story-nurses-ball
Many, as well as myself have had high hopes for RC &FV’s vision of what their ball would really be like. We’ve wondered and had thoughts fly through our heads, tweets on Twitter and posts on boards… Unfortunately for us, our visions all fall under the vision of what Claire Labine and Wendy Riche would put together. I know I had faith that history would be honored, not just the Lucy in her underwear history, but the history of the quilt, Stone’s journey, Robin’s journey and legacy. Unfortunately for me and so many others, those were not honored enough.
I know, I should be grateful they had the ball, and yes, I am. I loved last week’s beginning, I even enjoyed Rick Springfield’s performance. But things fell short, imo, on Monday’s episode.
The breakdown on the good, the bad, the ugly… Now, where to start…
The Bad….. (let’s get this goody out-of-the-way first..)
- Richard Simmons——– Look, I watched in the late 70′s early 80′s when he was featured regularly. I loved him… Now? Holy moly, nice to see him but does he have to be so combative and mean to Lucy?
- Cutting/deleting important scenes, like the scene between Sonny and Brenda after she was kicked out of the ball by Carly. First, Really Carly? Robin hated you and you hated her. Sonny and Brenda were Robin’s best and longest friends and you kick out Brenda and Sonny follows her? Poor, poor.
- Lack of HIV/AIDS awareness talk. Why exactly is everyone all dressed up, having a great time in one room? Where is the heart, the information and the nod to the actual history of what the Nurses Ball means? Why didn’t they have on red ribbons?
- Too much Sabrina the ugly becoming Sabrina the beautiful swan who captures the fair Patrick Drake’s heart and soul. TOO MUCH, especially at an event to honor his “DEAD” wife. Oh PLEASE!
- Ah, Sonny and Brenda. Where to begin…. I think this will eventually, probably toward the end of the week, be a separate post about the fuckery we will be subjected to soon. But, for what we’ve seen thru the Nurses Ball, Sonny is stand-offish and distant, while Brenda is most like herself in years! Okay, I can understand because he is in a relationship with the skank with 2 personalities, or is it 3? hmmm… Sonny isn’t a cheat. He really never has been. He’s usually pretty true in a relationship, even if he does have feelings for someone else. Like when he was with FrogFace and Brenda said she’d be his mistress… Anyway, I digress… I get Sonny keeping B at arms’ length. If he allows her to be any closer, he’ll be kissing her for days until all hell breaks loose…. Was happy to see Sonny stand up to Carly when she threw out B. Glad to see Sonny walk out and join Brenda. Extremely disappointed S&B were not able to stay and celebrate Robin. Happy, however to see the fire back within Brenda. It’s clear she wants Sonny back, thank goodness no overseas 3 months beating around the bush and she walked back into PC and into Sonny’s life all in one day.
- Britt, her momma and the wickedness that is about to follow. Faison is Britt’s pappa and she’s got evil & ugly running thru her veins. She wants payback & will go to great lengths to get it… I hate to say it but they bore me. Hope they spill something about Robin and soon. I hope Britt knows about Robs being alive. That might save this idiocy.
- The red carpet…. While a little cheesy, I loved seeing everyone walk in and the set up for attitudes and fun. It was a fun touch to the festivities.
- Brenda/Sonny/Carly scenes…. especially the Brenda/Carly ones in particular. They were hysterical and this is as close to the real Brenda we are gonna get unless Claire Labine comes back and specifically writes for the character of Brenda. LOVED when Brenda beaned that roll at Carly’s head.. It was PRICELESS!!!
- Little Emma. (She brightens up the whole show with her cuteness)
- Remembering Robin by Lucy and Patrick at the end of Monday’s show. Wish the remembrance was longer and throughout but, it was nice to finally hear something.
- Jack Wagner and Rick Springfield singing… ALWAYS!!
- Spinelli and Ellie’s skit was really cute.
- Duke and Anna’s tango.
- Loved seeing Lucy in all her dresses (I didn’t love the dresses but it’s been fun to watch) I’ve really missed Lucy and the fun she brings. The show needs her and I hope she stays.
- LOVED seeing Audrey last week and Steve’s portrait. Nice touch.
- Nice to see Patrick take the interns around the hospital, telling the story along the way.
- Magic Milo… Was cute & suggestive but fun and a crowd pleaser. lol
- Sam and Anton’s jive, was great. It’s nice to see what Kelly has learned w/DWTS and use it on GH.
The Ugly… (oh, where to start, where to start… ugh)
- Frisco and Felicia…. along with Mac. I’m not gonna lie, I am a Frisco & Felicia fan from waaaay back in the beginning. From the moment Frisco took off that cap off her head, I was hooked. Yeah, Frisco screwed up more than once by leaving Felicia and their girls, Felicia screwed up by leaving her girls with Mac. Yes, Mac cared for those girls and loved them as his own. Unfortunately, good or bad, those girls were Frisco and Felicia’s. They both made mistakes and were not there for them. I get Mac’s bitterness about him being stable & raising the girls. The thing here is, F&F are soulmates, regardless of anything else, F&F belong together. It could be written. They could have asked Jack to stay. I understand it must be hard between Jack & Kristina but that sparkle & chemistry is still there, you can see there’s no love lost between them. They still care. Anyway, Frisco and Felicia parted ways and Frisco left his daughter yet again. It could have been handled with care, but instead, Frisco did what he always does & Felicia proposes to her “safe choice.” Safety isn’t what it’s always chalked up to be, especially when you’ve thrived on adventure & danger most of your life, but that’s just me. F&F fans deserved better. Some of us have loved them for 30 years. Why couldn’t JW come and go? Why couldn’t they work out something to make it work? What was with All I Need? BTW, if you didn’t know, it was a song Frisco sang for Tania back in the day, it wasn’t a F&F song. While I would have loved Lady of My Heart, maybe a new song or another one would have been more appropriate. Yes, I loved JW singing, always had, sang along and loved it, but I knew at the first note, this wasn’t going our way as fans because of the song choice. I was deeply disappointed. Disappointed from the start of his return, I was hoping for much more, even if Frisco was not Felicia’s choice. there could have been much more interaction, possibly dates & reconnection. Show us WHY she would choose Mac. Show us WHY Frisco is the worst choice. Show us Frisco, Felicia and Maxie together as a FAMILY and allow them to bond. I give GH a D for this story. It would be an F but, I am still happy JW came back for GH50. I’ve missed him.
I am a GH fan. Yes, I ship my couple, S&B but for about 36 years of my life, I have loved the show itself. I’m grateful tptb brought back the Nurses Ball. I feel bad for being critical of it but it’s falling flat for me right now. Maybe it’s my disappointment for S&B and F&F.
Hope the next couple of days bring some happiness to some couples/characters and their fans. Really, this is a celebration for not only the cast, crew, writers & producers through the years; but for the fans who have fought hard to keep the show on air and who care enough to watch daily. 50 years is nothing to sneeze at, 13,000 episodes, scripts everyday, stories that have evolved from the beginning. Like, love, dislike or hate the stories keep the show going. The more people chatter about the show, loving or hating keeps the show alive and keeps us tuning in to see what our favorite characters are up to. Some seasons of the show are easier for certain fans than others… S&Bers, hold on to your hats, we are about to hit pot hole after pot hole…..